Montag, Mai 22, 2006

PAUL McCURDY / AN AMERICAN POET AND WRITER OF THE NEW GENERATION



Paul G. McCurdy is a young, very talented American writer and poet. He grew up in the suburbs of Atlanta, Georgia but moved to the San Francisco Bay Area in January 2003. His poetry has appeared in some American journals, like Lynx Eye, Red River Review, and SoMa Literary Magazine. One of his short stories has also appeared in Best Gay Love Stories 2006. More is available at his blog : Zauberwelt

With him, who is also a very musical guy and at the same time an interesting photographer, I'll complete for a while the series about my favourite men of letters, which I started last year, publishing some essays about Albert Camus’ “THE MYTH OF SISYPHUS” …


Here is one of his recent poems, a poem which has struck a particular chord in my soul:


Cemalettin


O Cemal—hill, rock, bomb, bludgeon,
all things hard, natural, destructive.
When they made robust men in Africa
they thought of you: your thick muscles,
your heavy brow. You stand at the fire
with your club raised against the jackals.
I, long-haired, know little of brutish things.
I tend to hearts, to the unborn and the bearing,
and spin tales over the pots.

O masculine adaptations! O Muslim, you
taught that the Koran is not a paperback
to be written in. You took me—“gay,” I said—
as your neighbor, your brother. I woke
one night to find you over me, god
leaning down, drawing a blanket to my chin
against the world where I was born.
You taught me more than books and learned men
that love was here before the pen
and suffers still from it.




18 Comments:

Blogger The Persian said...

that second part was incredibly powerful, the last line especially. I need to read more of this man's work.

Thanks Hans :)

11:30 nachm.  
Blogger Paul G. McCurdy said...

Castor, thank you for all of your support!

12:27 vorm.  
Blogger castor said...

to Persian Guy:
---------------
I knew that you would like this poem, Jim, and I am sure you'll like Paul's work in general!

Hans

9:22 vorm.  
Blogger castor said...

to Paul G. McCurdy:
-------------------
:-) I really hold you in high regard, Paul, and I am old enought to say this ! :-) Did you ever try to get in touch with Gore Vidal???

9:28 vorm.  
Blogger Ryan said...

i dont know his work but i will look into it.

9:29 nachm.  
Blogger castor said...

to Ryan:
--------
I think you'll like it! And not only because he is also from Atlanta like you :-)

11:58 nachm.  
Blogger NMAMFQLMSH said...

You are still better looking then him.
YOU ARE HOT!
I see you,
JJ

4:21 vorm.  
Blogger Brad said...

I will have to look into him further also and not just because he is cute LOL

5:37 vorm.  
Blogger castor said...

to NMAMFQLMSH:
-------------
JJ, you should read his work, LOL!

7:03 vorm.  
Blogger castor said...

to Brad:
--------
Yes, Brad, you'll see he is really an interesting author!

7:10 vorm.  
Blogger Sujay Sukumar said...

That was very informative castor, and the poem has certain elements of strangeness and provocation...its true.

I liked your painting castor and polux too...

7:49 vorm.  
Blogger castor said...

to Sujay Sukumar:
-----------------
Thank you, Sujay! I missed you already!

10:52 vorm.  
Blogger Trudging said...

Thanks for the information!

1:30 nachm.  
Blogger castor said...

to Trudging:
------------
Welcome, Trudge!

3:04 nachm.  
Blogger Cocaine Jesus said...

talented guy. good and powerful poem.

3:44 nachm.  
Blogger castor said...

to Cocaine Jesus:
-----------------
Yes, he is it indeed!

4:10 nachm.  
Blogger Sue hardy-Dawson said...

The poem is wonderful, so intense, I am off to visit

4:14 nachm.  
Blogger castor said...

to Sue Hardy-Dawson:
--------------------
You'll see he is an exceptionally talented artist, Sue!

6:27 nachm.  

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home